For our latest campaign, we wanted to raise awareness of the deadly air pollution in our capital city.
London suffers from traffic related pollution in a similar way to most UK cities, but the sheer size of the city, along with a dense road network and high buildings, means that central London tends to be one of the most polluted places in the UK.
We spoke to 9 individuals based in East London, about their fears, all with similar and stark results. We are all worried about the future, and while we need to start seeing more large-scale change, we can all play our part and start to make a difference.
Air pollution increases the risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and asthma attacks, as well as being associated with dementia.
- Almost 9,500 Londoners die early each year as a result of air pollution.
- Some of London’s worst pollution hotspots are around schools, usually on busy and congested roads.
- Forty per cent of air pollution comes from diesel vehicles.
- One in six early deaths could be prevented if everyone walked or cycled 20 minutes each day.
Fresh, clean air is a human right, and we say; Pollution? No Thank You!
What can we do?
- Let your local MP know that you don't want more air pollution, and join the #StopCambo campaign to halt the government's plans to extract more fossil fuels in the UK.
- Sign up for a planet protectors kit from Friends Of The Earth.
- Support research into childhood death from asthma, to commemorate Ella Roberta, a 9 year old who tragically died from air pollution in Lewisham.
- Campaign with Mums for Lungs, to get schools and local councillors involved.
More from Birdsong
Shop the renewable energy made, organic cotton tee here, and we'll donate 5% of all revenue to local air pollution fighting causes.
For the full photo essay and quotes, subscribe to our Patreon here.